Old February 26th 17, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Do you crab or forward slip in X wind landings

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 14:00:50 -0800, Tango Eight wrote:

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 4:29:42 PM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 13:03:59 -0800, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Do you crab or forward slip landing in x-winds and why? When I was
taught how to fly an airplane the crab method was used when I
transitioned to gliders my instructor emphasized forward slip over
crab.
Years later I have established my procedures, but I thought this
might
be a useful discussion for newer pilots.

Standard UK training, at least when I learnt and I haven't heard any
different from our instructors since, is to crab with wings level on
approach and kick the glider straight just before touchdown. Another
point is that we are taught to do fully held-off landings regardless of
the size and surface of the club field on the grounds that its the only
sensible way to land out, so we should be able to do it well. I think
the two are related because this keeps the wings level while speed
bleeds off and its fairly easy to kick the glider straight as it
settles. If you also manage a neat two-pointer you can award yourself
brownie points as well as knowing that this will help to keep the
glider running straight despite any cross-wind.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org |

What two seater is being used to teach fully held off landings?

In my club, all of our trainers. We have a couple of ASK-21s, a Puchacz
and a G103 Twin Acro 2.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK