Old February 26th 17, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Do you crab or forward slip in X wind landings

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 4:04:02 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Do you crab or forward slip landing in x-winds and why? When I was taught how to fly an airplane the crab method was used when I transitioned to gliders my instructor emphasized forward slip over crab. Years later I have established my procedures, but I thought this might be a useful discussion for newer pilots.

I have found over the years that students have a much easier time dealing with cross wind using the slip method.
The aiming point does not change. They look right over the nose as usual.
They do not have to try to kick out a crab and move to a wing low attitude while trying to time the round out to a low energy landing.
Obviously they nee to be aware of their bank angle near the ground but the reduced drift down low seems to take care of that.
UH