Old February 26th 17, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Do you crab or forward slip in X wind landings

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 1:04:02 PM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Do you crab or forward slip landing in x-winds and why? When I was taught how to fly an airplane the crab method was used when I transitioned to gliders my instructor emphasized forward slip over crab. Years later I have established my procedures, but I thought this might be a useful discussion for newer pilots.

slip will bleed off more energy than a crab. If you are low, a crab would be better. I tend to use slip as you can keep lined up on the approach and it is easy to adjust the slip for wind shear.