Old September 17th 18, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default A few newbie questions about the sport

A short while ago my daughter was considering joining a local Civil Air Patrol chapter, while attending the meetings with her I began to be interested in Gliding. I'm in NJ. If someone could help me with a few basic questions, I'd really appreciate it:

1. What is the average ground speed of a Glider flight?

2. Can Gliders take off and land at any airport/airfield...or are there known designated airports?

3. Regarding the thermal updrafts: Does this mean that Gliding is a seasonal sport and therefore flying in the Winter is more difficult (or impossible)?

4. Any tips on finding a school to begin lessons?

Thanks again for your time.
Ed