Old September 17th 18, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default A few newbie questions about the sport

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 10:58:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
A short while ago my daughter was considering joining a local Civil Air Patrol chapter, while attending the meetings with her I began to be interested in Gliding. I'm in NJ. If someone could help me with a few basic questions, I'd really appreciate it:

1. What is the average ground speed of a Glider flight?

2. Can Gliders take off and land at any airport/airfield...or are there known designated airports?

3. Regarding the thermal updrafts: Does this mean that Gliding is a seasonal sport and therefore flying in the Winter is more difficult (or impossible)?

4. Any tips on finding a school to begin lessons?

Thanks again for your time.
Ed

Hey Ed,

1. Answered by Charlie.

2. Can Gliders take off and land at any airport/airfield...or are there known designated airports?

So long as the airport is sufficient in size to tow out of, yes. But gliders are limited to flying out of places with towplanes that can tow us up. There are several places in and around New Jersey that tow.

3. Regarding the thermal updrafts: Does this mean that Gliding is a seasonal sport and therefore flying in the Winter is more difficult (or impossible)?

While there's a bit more to it, you can think of thermals being driven by the difference in temperature, not so much the actual temperature of the air.. You can have a very cold day, but so long as the ground is a bit warmer, you will have thermals.

To make it a little more complicated, our good soaring days are often when it gets *colder*. When the cold fronts come through and we have those cool NW days, the air becomes "unstable". This is to say that it is easier for thermals to rise, because the air gets cooler faster than it normally would. As a result, when the thermal rises, its relative temperature is higher, making the thermals stronger. Cold fronts can be quite strong in the autumn, fall and spring. One of my strongest thermals was in February... 13 knots for 3000ft or so. Not that far off from the speed of the Empire State Building elevators!

Simply stated, look up at the sky on those cooler, drier days and you will often see nice puffy cumulus clouds marking our thermals. Those are the best soaring days.

4. Any tips on finding a school to begin lessons?

If you're in Southern Jersey, the closest place to you would probably be Philadelphia Glider Council at Hilltown PA. If you're closer to middle Jersey, nearer to Rt.80, then Jersey Ridge Soaring at Blairstown, NJ. If in Northern Jersey, then Valley Soaring is a good option too.

Hope this helps,
Daniel