Old October 25th 18, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

Having been around for "metal/fabric" gliders and composites over several decades, knowledge is great, but time is the issue.
I have been around from the beginning on metal/fabric hands on, watched composite from the beginning although I am usually late in the game hands on. Mostly "great finish" with lots of time.
Yes, machines is part of it, suitable location is another part (lunch at midday is nice!), this all costs someone something.
Experience is another thing.
I know Papa3 has learned from the "Skunkworks" over the years.
It is dusty, dirty, time consuming work for either type. Even cheap labor can get expensive.
Yes, I have been involved with "flat sand, polish" to prolong existing crap gel coat up to full refinish.
It all takes time, tools, knowledge and a decent place to work.

Yes, this can be a great club exercise, at least some members understand what is involved if you don't maintain what you already have.
Then again, it can be easy to take a simple job and make it expensive (not watching cords, wrap it in a polisher, punch holes in bits......I have done a repolish after the glass fix......).

This is NOT a, "I want to save money, spend a bit, make it great!". Yes you can, then again, it is real easy to F up.......then it gets expensive real fast.