Old August 18th 03, 06:59 AM
Dave Anderson

Here is part of a post I made a while ago to the BD-4 email list:

Get a cheap 1gal poly gas can (any kind of strong sealable container will
do) and a bolt-on style tire inflation nipple. (Both available at any
discout auto parts store.) Drill the gas can cap for the nipple and bolt it
on. This is the pressurization point. Run 1/4 copper tube through the gas
can vent hole and down to the bottom of the gas can, and epoxy it in place
above and below the vent hole. (Don't worry if it will leak a bit, this
isn't rocket science.) Hook that up to the oil pressure pick-off point on
the engine, using some hose to a pipe nipple at the engine. Fill the gas
can with oil, set your air compressor pressure regulator to about 20 lbs,
and pressurize the can. In a couple of minutes, all of the oil will be sent
through the engine, getting everything nice and oily. Don't forget to
reattach the aircraft oil pressure line to the engine after pre-oiling.

I ran 6 qts through, and then cranked the engine right away. Oil pressure
was immediate, even as the engine cranked. Total cost for this pre-oiler
rig was under $15. I have used it a couple of times since, very handy.

"Dave Hyde" wrote in message
Anyone got any suggestions on how to pre-oil
a Lyc. O-320 before its first run?

Dave 'it might just be a train' Hyde