Old March 6th 05, 03:42 AM
5Z

Uli,
Are you aware how an ELT is tested? When I get my annual, we remove it
and the A&P just does a firm swing forward and pulls back to verify it
will activate. This is, I'm sure, a lot less force than anything that
might incapacitate the pilot.

If I manage to bail out, and survive, I doubt I'll be more than a mile
from the plane. If the plane is found, I'm sure I will as well.

Given a choice, I'd rather have an ELT that doesn't require me to
activate it. Of course, the best would be to also get a EPIRB for the
parachute harness.

Oh, on my ASH-26E, the ELT is mounted on the cockpit sill just behind
my left elbow. The fuselage is all carbon except for the area above
the baggage compartment, so the whip antenna is mounted internally and
curves around the top. An improvement might be to install a foil type
of antenna in the roof of the baggage compartment.

-Tom