Old January 17th 04, 04:46 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message

. net...
I've worked on a lot of 48 Volt systems and it is more like an

unpleasant
tingle than a bad shock.

It is until ringing voltage is applied :-)

Ah well the systems I worked on had rather substantial batteries and the
real hazard was shorting something out rather than touching it. Some people
hated the feeling but unless I was sweaty I would just touch things to see
if they were live.

The 20 Hz ring was interesting because you can quite distinctly feel each
half cycle go by. The original systems I messed with used motor-generators
to make the 90 Volt 20 Hz and every so often when I am near an old elevator
the smell reminds me of those old dynamotors.