Old January 18th 04, 06:37 PM
Jim Weir

Jeez...that's something I've never considered. You are RIGHT, internal to that
alternator there IS 3-phase AC that is regulated and rectified to produce the
DC...

And now with three small transformers and a little surgery on the alternator, we
could have 3-phase 115VAC to run those military gyros...I wonder...yeah, I know
the frequency is a function of engine RPM...but still...

Jim

(Dan Thomas)

- That's probably why the alternators in your car and airplane both
-are three-phase. A 60-amp alternator weighs less than an old 25-amp
-generator.
-
- Dan

http://www.rst-engr.com