Old November 13th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Maule Driver

Default NTSB final report on Hendrick crash

Jim Macklin wrote:
He had a GPS, but as a high time commuter pilot in a BE1900,
he didn't know how to use it. Their GPS was not current for
IFR, but they were using it. When they crossed the LOM, the
GPS autocycled to the MAP WPT and the crew just did a turn
about a point and flew at the IAP altitude past the airport
and died.

I'm not familiar with the KLN 90B but fly a Garmin 300XL which I believe
is of similar vintage and function. In addition, my single CDI is wired
so that it would auto-connect to the NAV radio when tuned to a LOC signal.

Using the Garmin on such an approach to function in place of the ADF and
DME, I would have programmed it similarly. However, flying the
approach would require switching it from 'auto-sequence' to 'hold' just
before passing BALES for the holding pattern turn. That would keep
BALES as the next waypoint. Once inbound to BALES, I would have
switched it to auto=sequence.

Does the KLN 90B function similarly? That is, is there a Hold switch?

MauleDriver