Old March 2nd 04, 07:34 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, lid said:
do nothing
net cost: $250 (value of GPS now, dwindling to $100 in 2 years)
upgrade handheld
net cost: $100
sell 195, buy AnywhereMap
net cost: $400
buy tablet, keep GPS
net cost: $2000 or more
panel mount:
net cost: $4500

Am I missing anything?

Well, if you're going to compare stictly on dollars, then you need to make
a net present value analysis, not just compare the dollars of doing
something today versus doing it two years from now.

That said, I have a 195 and I don't see anything wrong with it. I look
longingly at the Garmin 196 and the Lowrance 1000, but not enough to want
to ditch the 195 now.

One thing you might want to consider - I haven't seen it advertised for a
long time, but Garmin sells or used to sell a connector kit so you could
use one of their old-style panel mount GPSes and use the 195 as a moving
map display slaved to it. If you could get one of the Garmin non-moving
map GPSes from somebody upgrading to a 530, you could have a fair amount
of function for a low price.

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/