Old November 27th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Diamond Badges

One more thing on beadges.
When you see the old one, you notice that it is made the way that it
could be attach to your jacket or sweter only by the way of button
holes. ( no pins or screws ) This determinated where and how it was
worn. Today we do not pay much of attantion to how we display the
badge. Years ago it was of utmost importance. Old pictures are prooving
my point. Unless it was on Luftwaffe uniform, the Dimond one was
allways worn in the center of your chest.
rk

Nyal Williams wrote:
Sorry,I do not. The pictures were on eBay, but the
items were sold yesterday and eBay removes information
on sold items immediately.

The 'diamonds were set it the perimeter of the badge,
very near the edge, with one at the top and the other
two low on the sides. Early descriptions of the badge
stated that they could be so mounted. The back view
of Riedel's badge showed that a small hole had been
drilled out and then 'soldered' over after the stone
was put in place. The badge weas an early enough issue
that it did not have a letter to identify country above
the seagulls. A fellow named Kaleta bought it; perhaps
he could provide a picture. He is a member of SSA
and his name appears in the directory.

The second badge was a standard American diamond badge
with the appropriate N above the birds.

The older badge is the way such a badge was described
in Philip Wills' 'On Being a Bird.'

Those of you who saw Peter Riedel's badges offered
on eBay had
opportunity to compare the old version and the new
version side by
side. Seems t At 22:54 20 November 2006,

wrote:

Nyal Williams wrote:
We should re-design the diamond badge. The original
was nice; the
current design, with the 3-diamond crest at the top
is ugly, ugly, ugly!

The first design called for the diamonds to be distributed
evenly around
the edge of the gold badge and each one of the diamond
legs had a
specific location on the badge. This allowed the
addition of the
diamonds, one-by-one, as they were earned.
o me we could change the current method
of an add-on crest
for a new add-on device , triangular in shape, that
would allow
positioning the stones equilaterally around the badge.
That would
return to specific locations for specific legs. There
are pilots with
gold badges who have had one and even two diamond
legs for years and
years; why not let them display these in the proper
location so as to
know their accomplishments?

Do you have a picture of the diamond badges?

Jacek