Old September 21st 09, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Bamberg

Default Retrieve Contact - Radio Relay?

On Sep 20, 7:16*pm, Chris Ruf wrote:
Flying out of Marfa Texas, about 5 years ago a couple of us landed out
- and I do mean out. *I had to hike a few miles past several jack
rabbits, and many spiders and snakes to the only ranch house on
200,000 acres.
We were having little luck with cell phones so I tried to get an
airliner to relay. *I called on 121.5 multiple times. *We were just in
such a remote area I got no response.
*Luckily we did not have an emergency because we had no luck with the
airliner relay.

I'd try the scan function on my handheld radio next time as that is a
good suggestion.
How else would you know what frequency to try to call on?

I figured that a 5w handheld radio would have a pretty good range to
reach airliners at cruising height.

Chris

I teach power-plane instruction as well as glider and teach my
students to monitor 121.5 if they can, while remaining on the assigned
frequency. I've also heard a number of airlines contacted by ATC and
asked to monitor 121.5 and they almost always reply that it is their
standard procedure.

The chances of someone listening to 121.5 is pretty good but as noted
above, not guarenteed.

Mike