Old October 11th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
R. Gardner

Default "The Unit" on CBS Features GA

Speaking of the squawk, No one seemed to notice that he then reached up and
appeared to be pushing the buttons on the #1 Nav radio. Boy I just hain't
that when they can do it right and screw it up so bad.

Other than that I'd like to know just how they filmed the midair it did look
pretty good. I agree the J3 had to be a real special plane!!

Ron Gardner

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in message
Marco Leon wrote:

I knew this thread would soon turn to the inaccuracies! Should we expect
less from us pilots??

Of course not! It's what we do.

I don't normally watch the show, but I happened to catch the action while
channel surfing. The J-3 doing 100 kts, with fairly sophisticated
autopilot
(not just a wing leveler) was pretty impressive. At one point, the
Archer
pilot is instructed to "squawk your transponder" so that he can be
located,
but they don't give him a code to squawk. I don't have Tivo, so I'm
still a
bit leery of how the Archer was able to hit the J-3 hard enough to pitch
it
up into a stall, yet avoid what should have been a fairly major prop
strike.
Also, the terrain was obviously CA and not AR.

I checked the registration on the Archer and it apparently was registered
to a new owner about 3 weeks ago. I wonder if the new owner was surprised
see his new bird bashing J-3s on TV :-)

Overall, for an aviation-related Hollywood production, they didn't do too
badly on the technical details. I've seen a lot worse.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)