Old June 13th 04, 09:58 PM
Gldcomp

Exactly, I couldn't agree more, the parachute may save you in many different
situations.
Most of them are not the reason we are required to wear them, otherwise,
power pilots and passengers would be required to wear one too.

BTW, I've never heard of anything like this before with a glass ship :
an elevator folding gracefully onto the fin...

I've flown in front of CBs most of my flying career and never once had to
fly outside the envelope.
But that aside... an elevator folding ?? it probably was damaged before and
not well repaired.

Has this accident been listed anywhere on the Web so that we could all look
at it ?

"Bruce Greeff" wrote in message
(................................)
Pilots make mistakes, one of the most experienced pilots I have known

wrecked a
Ventus A by getting too close to a CB. He used full airbrake,

undercarriage out
and nose progressively steeper. Eventually the elevator folded gracefully

onto
the fin. (...................................)

Gldcomp wrote:
Maybe I need to clarify this in other words.
No legislative requirement was ever established to carry parachutes

because
airplanes or gliders fall appart in normal flight.
This is a common beginner's instinctive fear, expecially during a

recovery
from stall, that the wings will fold and they will drop down like a

rock.
Some people get so stressed out and terrorized by the sensation of G's

that
they will forever avoid more than 30 degrees of bank so they don't have

tackle the Gs. There are a lot of pilots like that.
The simple truth is that airplanes and gliders don't do that, UNLESS WE

FLY
OUTSIDE THE ENVELOPE (exceed VNE, G-loads, etc), or we sabotage it in

some
other fashion such as an ill-executed repair, or controls not properly
connected upon assembly.

I never said one is more survivable than the other.
Notice again what I said : Structural failures is NOT the reason we are
required to wear parachutes (but of course, if they do occur, parachutes
will save the pilot just as well).

Midair Collision is the reason we are required to wear parachutes.
That's all I said.