Old February 18th 05, 04:44 AM
Colin W Kingsbury

"5pguy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm starting a club and soon our members will meet to discuss our top
10 planes. 1 of the planes being considered has been in an accident
where the bird flipped over (C172). The repairs were preformed as
needed and the plane has been flying for many years.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the key point. The chief risk with a repaired bird is the repairs
not being done properly, and in this one case time is on your side. The
longer ago the repair, the more likely any problems with it have exposed
themselves. Of course, cue broken record, these areas should receive extra
attention on a serious pre-buy. Otherwise, a plane with "bad credit" can be
a good investment since so many buyers won't even consider them.

As a result, God only knows how many planes are sold "No Damage History"
with repairs that never made the logbooks. I'll bet if you computed the % of
planes in the fleet that *should* have a damage history versus the % of ads
in TAP that say "NDH" you'd find a significant gap.

-cwk.