Mike Schumann[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Soaring club billing software

On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 11:45:08 AM UTC-5, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 8:09:01 PM UTC-7, Mike Schumann wrote:
On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 12:20:42 PM UTC-5, bobmckellar wrote:
On Monday, November 3, 2014 4:28:33 PM UTC-5, Bob Caldwell (BC) wrote:
Hi Pilots,

I recall there was a piece about this in SOARING mag several years ago but I couldn't find it in the archives. Does anyone have any info about this? Our club would like to update how we keep our records, bill our members, collect our money, accept credit cards, keep track of aircraft hours and communicate in general. Etc. etc.

Please email me if you can help. Thanks.

Bob rcaldwell at ponderosa-assoc dot com

QuickBooks is certainly capable of handling a club's finances. However, don't be under the impression that this will increase security. QuickBooks is notorious in the accounting community for poor audit trails and security in general. It is mostly suitable for handling your own money, not someone else's. I strongly support online banking access for someone in addition to the treasurer. Recent events in the soaring community show you what can happen.

Bob McKellar

Sorry to disagree. Quickbooks is by far the most popular small business accounting software available. If it is setup properly, it is both secure and robust. The big question is whether to use the on-line version or buy a copy and run it on a PC. The on-line version permits multiple users to view the data and doesn't require you to get your hands dirty with backups, etc. However, you will be paying a monthly service charge forever. Buying a copy to run on a PC is a one-time investment that can save you money in the long run (as long as you are not generating a payroll).

WRT to the installed version, QuickBooks 'features' expire if you fail to upgrade in three years, likely the ability to send invoices and statements as PDF attachments. At least they don't expire annually. Haven't used the online subscription version, but it should be useful in that setting and presumably includes version updates.

Frank Whiteley

The only feature that expires after 3 years, forcing an upgrade, is payroll.. As long as you are not generating a payroll, you can use your installed Quickbooks copy indefinitely.