Old July 8th 14, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default How does one obtain the best glider trailer tire performance and safety?

On Monday, July 7, 2014 7:07:15 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
With a gross trailer weight of 1500 lbs., 13" rims, legal highway speeds, routine inspection for damage, moderate ambient temperature, proper inflation and the careful avoidance of potholes and curbs, I'd expect that a new tire with a service rating a notch higher than the expected usage would be very reliable.

The people that tell horror stories about multiple trailer tire failures must be doing something wrong... old tires, excessive load, excessive speed, road hazard abuse, overheating, under-inflation etc..

What is the best bet on a new set of trailer tires?

Start by going to a full service tire store. You will need tires that are rated for trailer service (they have stiffer sidewalls). I replaced the original tires on my Cobra trailer and found they didn't have exact replacement size. I had to go with a tire that was about 1" larger in diameter, which is pretty significant (there is less clearance with the fenders). They have a higher load rating than the originals and raises the height of the trailer above the road, but can make the assembly geometry more difficult.

Tom