Old July 9th 14, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default How does one obtain the best glider trailer tire performance and safety?

On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 4:17:58 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 3:52:34 PM UTC-7, Hartley Falbaum wrote:

.

What is the best bet on a new set of trailer tires?

I have recently installed Kumho 857 trailer tires on my 2007 Cobra. Trailer tire rated to 99mph, load range D - Replaced the Hankook car tires. Big difference--no sway at any speed I care to drive, though 80 is my personal limit on Interstate. Plan to replace at 4 yr, just because! BTW my trailer is protected from the elements except when away from home.

I agree with the 4 year replacement cycle. I have had 5 year old tires blow, and as Noel said it is no fun. Typically it is in the middle of nowhere and the spare is not trusty for a long run. And it usually takes out the fender as well. Keeping you speed below 70 mph helps too (trailer tires aren't designed for it).

Tom

One last thing: before leaving on my latest trip I made sure I could actually change the trailer tire with the tools I carry. Found out I couldn't break the nuts on the wheel with socket wrench because they were torqued so tight, so I threw in a breaker bar. Ended up using it in Parowan, UT to help another pilot fix his DG808C.

Tom