Old January 24th 18, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

We have rules against cloud flying, rules against flying in controlled airspace, rules to thermal in the same direction, rules about how to fly an approach pattern, rules against flying under the influence of drugs or alcohol (FAI rules even have a special penalty for second offense), minimum finish height rules. Are these all unnecessary “nanny state” wastes of space?

I’d stop racing if I thought that every contest I attended was going to include a choice to significantly risk my life versus withdraw from the competition. I’m thankful there are people willing to contemplate the interplay between how we structure competition, human behavior and the most likely causes of death or injury.

Andy Blackburn
9B