Old August 26th 04, 05:32 PM
Roy Smith

(Doug) wrote:
As a pilot I see ABSOLUTELY no COMMON SENSE in having to make a course
reversal if I don't have to loose altitude and am on the final
approach course (or even within a few degrees of final approach
course) outside of the FAF. I mean, why do it? It takes time, burns
fuel, and increases risk.

Of course it makes no sense. But it's the law. Since when did the law
have to make sense :-)

The real problem is this was all laid down long before radar and RNAV
capabilities were common. The Terminal Arrival Area concept that's
being introduced with GPS approaches resolves a lot of this stupidity.