Old April 15th 13, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Gordon Boettger 1000 mile attempt going on right now

Terrific attempt, but I've gotta ask some questions:

Did they expect to fly a thousand miles in daylight? I know they're
equipped for night flight, but I'd hate to have to land anywhere in Colorado
at night in a glider. Worse would be to bail out!

Were they counting on wave to carry them all the way from Minden to Garden
City? That sounds unreasonable to me and I'd expect thermals to quit before
sundown. Is the sink rate of the Duo low enough that they could fly at
minimum sink all night and hope to catch a thermal over the plains in the
morning? Could they keep each other awake?

Again, wonderful flight and I would have been amazed to see it work out, but
I just don't see how it would be realistically possible. Someone please
enlighten me!

wrote in message
Thanks Gordon and Hugh! I got almost nothing done today! Good show, GREAT
FLIGHT!