Old May 9th 04, 07:07 AM
Eric Greenwell

David Kinsell wrote:

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message ...

Rory O'Conor wrote:

The LX5000 starts to run into
problems if the voltage indicates 11.8v, and dies if
the voltage falls below this.

I optimistically assume that the LX20, Radio and T&S
might work down to about 10v, but I would like my
LX5000 to keep functioning.

I suggest you contact your dealer or the company. According to Filser's
LX5000 manual, the power required is 8-16 volts, so your unit needs repairs.

Once it is repaired, you might consider running it and all equipment
except the horizon directly from the battery. This should make the
battery last longer, as you will avoid the loss from the converter.

Or he could use a 14 volt battery, which will keep adequate voltage
on all the devices far longer than a 12 volt battery will, and still avoid
losses (and RFI) from the converter. That way, he wouldn't have to
pretend that his radio is still working good at 10 volts. 12 to 14 volt
converters are very hard to justify in this application.

The LX5000 is a vario system. It should be repaired before it stops
working entirely.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA