Old June 30th 05, 04:51 PM
Jerry

Default Deducting Aircraft Expenses - Standard Mileage Deduction?

Hello,

I have an apartment complex in a town about 150 miles away. It
is an ideal mission for my Beech Sundowner. I'm about to take a car
out there to keep at the airport. Then I will begin flying ( 1.5 hours
) instead of driving ( 2.75 hours ).

Since I have no vehicle dedicated to my business, I use the standard
mileage deduction when I drive - 37.5 cents per mile, if
I remember correctly.

The cost of flying is, of course, much higher than 37.5 cents per
mile. The IRS itself acknowledges this, in their guidelines for
reimbursing their own employees - if an IRS employee takes a GA
airplane on IRS business, IRS reimburses the employee 99.5 cents per
mile.

At this time, I do not track my aircraft expenses in detail: it's
sort of an "I'd rather not know" situation . And I'd rather not have
the recordkeeping & paperwork burden to do so, but if I have to....

Is anybody out there deducting their business flying with a "pennies
per mile" type formula? Or do you all hire accountants to track your
aircraft expenses?

- Jerry Kaidor ( )