Old March 21st 05, 07:42 PM
Michael

Glenn Jones wrote:
In the real world, EVERYTHING coming back from a third-party shop

needs
inspection.

No, the real world abandoned that kind of thinking decades ago. The
real world long ago switched over to quality systems and production
processes that don't require 100% (or even 10%) inspection.

Only in backwater industries mired in a regulatory morass and hidebound
with obsolete technology is 100% inspection normal - or needed. In
other words - when you're dealing with certified aircraft parts and
repair stations, everything needs inspection and the paperwork that
comes with the part that assures its airworthiness (yellow tag) is just
so much useless paper.

I personally inspect and, as much as possible, test every part I
install on an aircraft. But I also design instrumentation for a major
manufacturer, and thus deal with manufacturing, inspection, and repair
procedures in the real world - where a mistake can mean a major
industrial accident. I must say that if we did things the way
certified FAA manufacturers and repair stations do, we would be out of
business within three years.

Michael