Old January 11th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Marco Leon[_4_]

Default Update - Garmin GPSmap 496 False Terrain Alert

"Ron Gordon" wrote in message
t...
Here's the latest information on the issue with the Garmin GPSmap 496
reporting a false terrain alert when flying into KADS along the runway 15
ILS:
Garmin provided me with a current terrain database update, in an effort to
see if corrections that have been made in that database since June 2006
would correct the problem. It did not, though I certainly appreciated
their efforts.

Ron, have you asked Garmin if they're willing to give you a copy of the raw
datapoints of the terrain elevation around ADS? I'm thinking the erroneous
datapoint(s) will be terrain data since an obstacle should be easily
displayed as such on the 496 map. Since you know the area, you might be able
to spot the errant datapoint and help them out.

Marco