Old February 21st 17, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default Flight following for sailplane XC flights?

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 9:14:32 PM UTC-8, Paul Villinski wrote:
Does anyone ever request flight following during long cross-country flights, in order to have ATC provide separation and keep an eye out? Or is this a ridiculous idea, especially given that you'd have to keep listening all afternoon? Would controllers provide radar service, or just have a good laugh? Just curious....

Not at all ridiculous.
Many times for me, to get cleared into Restricted areas of the R-2508 Complex.
A couple of times when unable to get cleared into R-2505 and needing to circumnavigate a thunderstorm over not-so-hospitable terrain. Just wanting someone to know where I was.
You don't need flight following for ATC to provide separation. They will do that without you having a discrete TXP code or being on their frequency.
The separation issue is a slight problem if several gliders are doing the same thing. ATC gets concerned with the glider-glider proximity. Perhaps the only other formation flying they see is military traffic that they know as a group of aircraft.

Wonder if the reaction ATC can have to multiple discrete-code transponders sharing a thermal will become a real headache for them in a few years?

Darryl, it's "Joshua" that we talk to near Edwards and China Lake.
Jim