Old February 22nd 17, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Default Flight following for sailplane XC flights?

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 9:14:32 PM UTC-8, Paul Villinski wrote:
Does anyone ever request flight following during long cross-country flights, in order to have ATC provide separation and keep an eye out? Or is this a ridiculous idea, especially given that you'd have to keep listening all afternoon? Would controllers provide radar service, or just have a good laugh? Just curious....

I requested it once above Las Vegas class Bravo. Than they started giving me "turn to a heading so and so, maintain altitude, etc." every which way but where I wanted to go. I tried explaining that I am a glider and if we keep this up I may have to descent into the class Bravo, they did not care to listen.
After managing to stay clear, I cancelled it and in as much as it may seem like a good idea, I will never do it again.
6PK