Old March 28th 18, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]

Default Confusing SSA hand signals that should be changed

At 19:57 28 March 2018, S2 wrote:
The only justification for taking up slack with the wingtip on the ground
is that it leaves the wingrunner with both hands free to give that
much-deprecated stop signal.

As a towpilot, I'm very reluctant to take up slack while the wingtip is

on
the ground. It looks too much like a glider with nobody in it.

I'm with Evan on this one.

The UK BGA has specified a standard set of signals that make sense, work
and are used universally. They have the huge advantage that you can go to
a different club and get or help with a launch with minimal confusion or
misunderstanding.

There are differences between clubs, for example Sutton Bank use a separate
signaller while at Booker the wing runner does the signalling. The signals
are the same. We were able to adapt within a few seconds.

Doesn't the USA have something similar?

Chris