Old November 9th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Delaware gliderports or clubs

On Nov 9, 7:21 am, "Ken Kochanski (KK)"
wrote:
On Nov 8, 4:35 pm, Papa3 wrote:

I think Larry just wanted someplace where he could go to set a bunch
of State Records :-) IIRC, there are no records yet for
Delaware...

P3

On Nov 8, 4:28 pm, wrote:

On Nov 8, 4:08 pm, "01-- Zero One" wrote:

Are there any?

Larry

01 "zero one"

Larry,

The closest gliderports/clubs to Delaware are in SE Pennsylvania:
Toughkenamon, PA: Brandywine Soaring (club)
Morgantown, PA: Black Diamond Soaring (commercial op), Cloudniners
(club)
Hilltown, PA: Philadelphia Glider Council (club)

There's also a group in Churchville, MD: Atlantic Soaring Club

The SSA website has a nice "Where to Fly" interactive map (http://www.ssa.org/sport/wheretofly.asp) to help anyone locate soaring sites.
It provides the contact info for the clubs and commercial ops as well.

Janine Acee
SSA Governor - PA East- Hide quoted text -

Strange that there are no DE records ... I had a 15M/Open 200K speed
record ... and Tom Smith and others had records prior to me. The
'old' state record system listed them ...

KK

I think you mean Stan Smith, not Tom. Stan (my father) lived in
Newark, DE for many years (Tom was from upstate NY).

In the early '60s, there were soaring operations at Lovett Airport,
near Newark. My father's logbook includes a flight from Newark to
Newport News, VA. The log entry indicates that the flight set a state
goal and distance record.

My father was SSA's DE governor for many years, and his files might
contain more information about state records, but I haven't pored
through them lately.