Old December 16th 07, 01:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
jc[_4_]

Default A340 Incident

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:46:08 +0100, Michael Huber
wrote:

Markus Baur wrote:

is there already a report out what really happeend .. ?

Can't find the link now. They did a max power test, and apparently mx ran up
all four engines simultaneously instead of one by one, overpowering the
aircraft's brakes.

I would suggest that one does not do full power runs "one at a time" on a large
airplane with wing engines. If you do, the thing is liable to spin like a top.
Every airline I've that I've ever worked on their airplanes had a policy of
running at least two wing engines at the same time, one on each side, for full
power runs. Twin and tri-engined airplanes required that both wing engines be
run at the same time for full power runs. In fact, that same policy was used on
TWA's Connies (other airlines with prop airplanes I'm not sure about).

Generally, not all 4 are run at full power although I've done so on 707's and
747's a few times in the past (we always used chocks on all wheels, too,
including the nose). It's somewhat exhilarating, if you like getting your teeth
rattled. Even more so if standing outside, next to an engine at full power. It
vibrates you to the core.
Cheers,
jc