Old January 14th 13, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Glider EFIS anyone?

On Monday, January 14, 2013 12:30:28 AM UTC-5, Chris Nicholas wrote:
“Only consumes 1 watt of power.
Passively monitors 122º x 10º field of regard.”
If it’s in a drone, and flies much faster than gliders, it should pick most of us up.

But not so good for glider to glider. Many of our collisions involve one behind the other so only one (same as “see and be seen” has the chance to initiate avoidance.

Assuming these things get cheap (they will because of the proliferation of drones), we just need a second system pointed backwards and maybe a third camera pointed under the bow so we don't open air brakes and descend on top of another glider that is lower in the pattern.

This product is actually very old technology that was at one time sold to GA. They are now trying to sell it into the drone market. Machine Vision and collision avoidance is an exploding area of active research... consider Google's Self Driving Cars, one of many projects in this area.

Systems like this are complementary to transponders and Flarm. Once the Flarm alert goes off, you still need to spot the threat and something like this (perhaps with a heads up display) might help you spot it.