Old August 15th 16, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Glider EFIS anyone?

The LX 9070 with S-80 or s-1010 is effectively an EFIS. The s-80 with display digital A/S and Alt, and so will the LX9070. The LX9070 also can be configured with tape display for A/S, Alt, and vario. Add a Butterfly display and you now have three glass instruments that give you all the flight data you need and more.

What I want is a true HUD with vario, A/S and traffic.

On Sunday, January 13, 2013 at 10:37:47 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Looking at the options for instrumentation for new Light Sport Aircraft, I find most manufacturers to offer a complete glass panel for flight instruments, engine controls, communications and of course navigation. There is nothing round with a pointer to be found and everything requires electrons to work. Factory-made gliders require of course to be equipped with certified instruments but I wonder if anybody in our small niche of aircraft instrument design is working on a one-panel box that shows the usual flight information. Given the progress in that area, it is certainly technically feasible.
We would have to get used to vertical tapes for speed and altitude but everything could be over-laid a navigation screen with the usual soaring computer information in dedicated boxes. This would clean up our busy panels and we could rid ourselves of the ugly external boxes that stick out from the panel or the canopy frame. I’d be interested in such a panel and would think in the long run this could well be marketed to the existing glider fleet, especially in the Experimental category. So who might be working on a Glider-EFIS?