Old January 5th 05, 07:42 PM
Michael Wise

In article ,
"Brian Sharrock" wrote:

...Certainly some Blackhawks have been
shown (at Banda Aceh). Unfortunately the pointy-end
reporter seem to be using video-phones with jerky
updates and pixelation artefacts - so it's hard to
discern unit identifiers - particularly as 'all-the-world'
has gone down the tone-down route.
[I'm well aware that lots may be happening behind or round-
the-corner from the reporters' camerafolk}

They are Seahawks, and the unit is HS-2 (my alma mater).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4142047.stm

Thanks for the URL and the identification of the unit/aircraft.
At the time I posted my input, SkyNews was reporting the
removal of the B373 off the runway and only showing a
line of ????Hawks from their rear aspect. - The impression
given by the reporter was that these were USMC aircraft.

That's the "World Famous" Golden Falcons emblem on the front of the
helo...but even not seeing that, the U.S. flag aft of the cargo door is
a giveaway, as HS-2 is, I believe, the only squadron in the USN
authorized to have it painted on their aircraft.

Interestingly, the aircraft depicted in your URL was not _toned down_
its bearing a red-blue-white USAF symbol, the flag is fully chromatic
and the unit badge is, as you say, definitely Golden; yet its got the basic
toned-down grey hull.
Does HS-2 march to the sound of its own drum?
Haven't I seen the full-colo(u)r US National flag on the outside of
other USAF aircraft - albeit normally on the tail?

It's not a USAF helo or a USAF symbol; it's a USN helo with a US flag.

I'm not sure of the history of how it came to be that HS-2 is the only
USN squadron allowed to have the US flag on the sides of it's
aircraft...but we were always proud of it.

Back to the discussion. When I joined HS-2 in early 1984, we flew
SH-3H's which were all white with chromatic markings. It wasn't until
late 1986/early 1987 that the Navy (or at least our air wing, CVW-9)
started painting its aircraft tactical gray. After that, all our
markings (including US flag and squadron logo) were shades of gray.

I got out of HS-2 at the end of '87, to be a reserve in the now-defunct
augmentation squadron, HS-0246. We flew the HS-10's (West Coast HS RAG)
aircraft, so when they transitioned to the SH-60F around 1989, so did
we. HS-2 was the first fleet HS squadron to get the SH-60F in 1990 or
1991. At that time, all their SH-60F's were tactical gray only (just
like their SH-3H's before them).

My guess is that since maritime camouflage s not an issue and they are
on a world stage (I've seen interviews and video/still images of several
HS-2 squadron members in the last week) that they want or were directed
to colorize the flag and squadron logo.

Here's another bit of HS-2 trivia: their call sign is "Hurricane
Hunter." They got it during the 70's when they assisted in relief
efforts for another natural disaster (hurricane) in the U.S.

--Mike

--Mike