Old February 2nd 04, 08:37 PM
Peter Duniho

"David Brooks" wrote in message
If the former, seems to me that as long as you make sure that the
TIW-Blaine-PAE portion of the flight is 2 hours, then you can call the

TIW
point of departure your "original" point of departure and you're fine.

That's what I was saying. Blaine is 4W6 incidentally (Seattle Approach had
to ask). With a long enough final your base leg is in Canada and, yes, I

had
been talking to Victoria Terminal.

Then I'd say you're *probably* good to go for the day VFR dual XC
requirement. Just log the PAE-TIW leg separately so that the logbook is
unambiguous. Of course, I'm far from the final authority here...you really
ought to just ask the examiner, if you know who you're going to do the
checkride with already. They aren't the last word either, but they are the
only real barrier between you and the certificate.

For what it's worth, the Part 61 FAQ specifically mentions the idea of
repositioning an airplane for the purpose of preparing for a XC flight to
meet the regulatory requirements for a certificate, which is what you did
when flying to TIW before commencing on your XC flight. With the usual
caveat that even the FAQ is not legally binding, it does provide a strong
suggestion that you have completed the day VFR dual XC requirement at this
point.

Pete