Old December 31st 03, 04:14 PM
John Roncallo

Michelle P wrote:

Hi all,
I just read my latest Aviation Consumer and AOPA Pilot. I have been in
search of a backup option for my attitude indicator. I have inquired and
looked at the electric AIs. The responses were luke warm to the quality
of the AIs. If I am spending $2000 for an instrument I expect it to work
period.
The Articles could not have come at a better time. I love the idea of
spending a little more and getting a multi function system.
The mini/Micro efis's on the pocket pc seems like a great idea! I can
run moving map software and the EFIS at the same time as well as do some
pre-flight planning and get weather too!

The legal aspects are few. In an emergency the rule book is out the
window. so It can be use d to get you down if necessary.

Michelle

It sounds great except for how you would actually use it in an ACTUAL
emergency.

1) Your flying along as an IFR pilot in the soup when suddenly you AI
goes out. This is not the time to reach into your flight bad and pull
out your laptop or PDA and boot it up.

2) Your flying along as an VFR pilot and inadvertently end up in the
soup while at the same time your AI goes out. This really is not the
time to reach into your flight bad and pull out your laptop or PDA and
boot it up.

3) You leave the laptop or PDA on for the whole flight. Maybe it's
conveniently clamped to your yoke. An hour into the flight you end up
into the soup but fortunately you have your PDA all booted up and ready
to go.

Option 3 sounds like it would work, except for this plan to work
effectively. It would have to be mounted and running at all times. This
is an inconvenient location for me to install stand by stuff, and I
think it would end up being in the bag when really needed, see option #1
and #2. This is what makes the back up electrical AI more appealing to
me. On at all times and out of the way.

John Roncallo