Old March 29th 04, 11:44 PM
Peter Gottlieb

I have an older Icom and I tried the new Vertex model that a couple of
friends got. Both do the job. The Vertex seems like a very sexy little
radio, but side by side the Icom was noticeably more sensitive (could have
been just normal unit to unit differences and not model specific). If I had
to get one today I would probably lean towards a Vertex with 2m capability.

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

I would buy a Vertex 5 watt radio with any nav feature. If the radio
is only for backup, then you might want to consider alkalines, but I
like the rechargable because it's my only radio. The version I own is
a Yaseu, predecessor of the Vertex.

Others will tell you Icom. Before the Yaseu, I owned a Sporty's, but I
didn't like it. I found the nav feature useless, the whole thing
rather bulky and heavy, the display not easy to read--and it ate
batteries.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: -- put Cubdriver in subject line!

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com