Old December 11th 05, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Avgas plummets!

I paid $2.90 last week and was so excited that it was less than $3.00 I flew
an extra sortie this week.

"Doug Vetter" wrote in message
Couldn't believe my eyes.

I pulled up to the pumps today at my home base of Old Bridge, NJ (3N6) to
find AVGAS at $3.15/gallon (cash), down from a high of $4.15 IIRC. I
haven't seen it that low since well before the recent runup (probably two
years). Never thought I'd see the day when I was actually glad to pay
$3.15 a gallon, but it's here.

Oddly enough, the airport manager told me several weeks ago that the first
decline (to $3.85) wouldn't be the last, so the distributor must have seen
the change in the market coming.

As we shutdown at the pumps and gazed at the price in disbelief I said to
my partner - "Hey, want to top off and go up again? Talk about an excuse
to fly!" He said "Na, gotta get going, but let's fill up a few 5 gallon
cans for next time just in case it goes back up! :-)"

Finally, some good news in aviation. We can actually afford to fly again.
Let that be a lesson to all the assholes in this business who are
overcharging us -- from the refiners, to the distributors, and ESPECIALLY
the FBOs. I mean, I don't expect anyone to work for free, but my
philosophy is that a business can either make a reasonable amount of money
on volume or nothing at all when I don't fly. The best long-term business
strategy seems clear to me.

-Doug

--
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI