Old September 23rd 03, 06:05 PM
WDA

Isn't this the Douglas type that has a screwjack milling out the teeth in
the elevator actuator nut so the crew eventually loses all pitch control as
happened off the California coast?

WDA

end

"Paul Austin" wrote in message
Something I saw raised a question in my mind: An MD-80's T-tail had
one half pitched up and the other half pitched about neutral. My
question is why any T-tail aircraft would allopw differential motion
of the two halfs of the horizontal stab? It seems to me that the
rolling couple such a position would impose in flight would act as a
tremendous shearing force on the fin.

I'm no kind of structural or aero engineer but does any military
aircraft with a T tail support differential movement of the two halves
of the horizontal stabilizer?