Old June 17th 10, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Scholz[_2_]

Default trailer wheels won't turn

chris wrote:
I have an older Komet trailer with newer axel. I parked the trailer
about 2 months ago and it was working fine at the time. Now the
wheels are immobile. I even tried to pull it with my car and the
wheels just dragged across the pavement.

In the dark of night I could not figure out if somehow the brake
shoes are suddenly rusted in place somehow or if the shock in the
hitch is jammed.

Both wheels are locked so it would be hard to think that is a
coincidence, the problem possibly started forward in the system.
However the actuation rod that goes from the hitch to the axel is
loose/ can be moved fore and aft.

Behind the actuation rod are the 2 cables that go to the brakes. It
seems that the problem from this point or beyond/behind.

I suppose it is possible there is a problem with bearings or that
somehow the brakes stayed partially engaged on my last tow.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose and fix it? / where to get parts.

Also is there a way to temporarily disengage the brakes, I was
thinking i could take out the brake pads etc.

thanks
Chris
Atlanta, GA, US

Chris,

probably the levers in the brake that are operated by the cables and
engage the brake pads have become stuck.

You can try several things:

1. the trailer brakes are supposed to automatically disengage when
pushing the trailer backwards. If there is room behind the trailer to do
that operation, try to push back the trailer with your car. This
operation might be enough to loosen the brake pads.

2. If not successful, get a medium hammer and make a few strokes on the
mounting disc (accessible from underneath the trailer, about where the
cables get into the brake). This might loosen the mechanism.

3. if not successful, there is an adjustment mechanism on the backside
of the brake mounting disc, usually either a small hole where you can
operate a small cogwheel with the aid of a screwdriver, or a bolt that
can be operated with an open-end wrench. You will have to try which
direction looses the brake and which direction engages it. Try to loosen
the brake using that mechanism. To find out if this works it is best to
jack up the trailer so you can turn the wheel without having to move the
whole trailer.

4. You might want to combine actions 1 to 3.

5. When you finally succeed, I strongly recommend to take off the wheels
and brake drums to inspect and clean the inside of the brake. Usually it
is enough to blow all the dirt out using pressurized air, and maybe
apply some heat resistant grease (carefully) to the mechanism that is
operated by the brake cable. This is also a good opportunity to look at
the wheel bearings and to re-grease them.

You should get any parts for that axle at your Komet trailer dealer in
the US, however, if this should be a problem, I can assist you in the
process of ordering any parts you might need. There should be a metal
plate on the inside of each wheel (about where the cable runs into the
brake) stating the exact type of the brake.

Good Luck,
--
Peter Scholz
JE