Old February 27th 19, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default high tow vs low tow

I would say, a "properly flown tow" doesn't hurt much.
There are issues in ANY formation flying, a glider aero tow is formation flying.
Do we at least agree on that (that an aero tow is formation flying)?

Any aero tow (or even winch launch, etc.) has some risk.
I have seen people fly low tow as a "new thing" when they normally did high tow. Common issue is waiting late to climb with the towplane.

As I stated earlier, this discussion has been hashed out on RAS before as well as other places.
To me, this is a "no win" for anyone.
We train for both, which is good.
I normally fly whatever tow is "usual" at a site.