Old July 19th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Military Air Fields

There are some military airfields that allow civil use, but
in general, you need advance permission to land at any
military base. Air Force bases are very strict and since
9/11, the guns are loaded.

Army airfields are , last I heard, by the base commander,
Air Force requires permission from the Pentagon and all
levels below. You need insurance "on file" with the base
and clearance for the people on board.

In an emergency, they will allow you to land, but don't
expect a red carpet. Don't expect to fly out after some
repairs, you may have to take it apart and truck it out.

Shepard AFB does advanced training, but has a runway
available to civilians and special VFR pattern. If civil
operations are allowed, the base should be listed in the AFD
along with contact information.
Wichita Falls, TX
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...=resu lt&cd=1

Call well in advance and get the paperwork completed and on
file.

[PDF] DD Form 2401, Civil Aircraft Landing Permit, August
2004 File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
Permission is requested to use the listed military
airfield(s). It is understood and agreed that: ... to each
landing for final clearance instruc- ...
www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/
infomgt/forms/eforms/dd2401.pdf - Similar pages

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"The Visitor" wrote in
message ...

| Paul kgyy wrote:
| Can I just land there as long as I
| establish tower contact?
|
| You mean permission?
|
| During some training I did touch and goes at a military
field. But would
| not have considered doing it myself. I seem to remember
the instructor
| telling me that was the most we could do, as we would not
be allowed to