View Single Post
Old September 11th 20, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Default The Blue Book, American Soaring Handbook

On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 10:13:00 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I've got a half dozen books specifically on this subject. Some are dated but I think still relevant. Others are 'current' but as was pointed out, inaccurate or have other issues.

If you provide the 'right' incorrect answer to a test question on a written exam do you still get credit if all the other answers are wrong? How about a checkride? If a question comes up and you give the 'correct' (wrong) answer exactly as it appears in the FAA's official publication do you flunk the ride even though you're using their 'official' publication?

I'm rather fond of Russell Holtz books at this point but I admit to using several others. I've always been promiscuous when it comes to reading technical things. So far he includes a lot of stuff that will probably be much more helpful to me over the long haul BUT.....they aren't cheap books.

The FAA handbook was recently revised. Who did the copy editing? I see a list of credits in there. Did any of those folks actually read it? If they did read it did they tell them the necessary changes? How do you screw up a grayscale print AND refer to colors in the text below? (No, Wes, I'm not making this up).

The FAA web site lists the Glider Flying Handbook as 2013. There is an errata sheet from 2015 available. This is despite the 2020 date on the Amazon copies. When I first say the Amazon copies with the 2020 date, I reached out to the SSF to see if this was a new revision. It is not. However, if someone has a copy of the acknowledgements page from one of these "2020" copies, would be curious to see if it still says SSA.COM for Soaring Society of America.

Frank Whiteley