Old October 25th 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Default US resident , no greencard, buying a glider in the US

On Oct 25, 12:18*am, Peter wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 23:07:26 -0700, Mike wrote:
On Oct 25, 12:01*am, Peter wrote:
I'm hoping to tap the voice of experience...

I've been thinking about buying a glider ever since I moved to the US,
its been 10 years now and I'm still waiting to get my Green card... yay
go USA... anyway... bitterness aside...

I know that I can't register an Aircraft on the US register unless its
owned by a US entity (person or corporation, majority),... or a
Greencard holder... bitter a little.

BUT...

Is there anything to stop me buying one and transferring it the the UK
register, but keeping it here and having my father (a UK based aircraft
inspector) come over and give it its annual airworthiness on the UK
register and fly it that way ?

What would be the process, would I have to get an export CofA and go
through all that rigmarole and then do the Uk equivalent to transfer
the registration, even thought he aircraft is not actually being
exported ?

And I would eventually (hopefully some decade soon) be reversing the
process once I get my Greencard.

Any other common means for a non-US citizen to own an aircraft legally
in the US. I don;t want to bend any rules and I'd rather not put a
$50-80K glider on teh register under someone elses name (and
effectively make them liable for any legal/tax issues), as well as have
to trust someone with that much of an asset that I'd have to basically
lose legal rights to to transfer to them legally.

Or should I pack up my stuff and head back to blighty... :-)

Peter

Is it legal for you to lease a sailplane?

I'd actually not thought of that, but since I'm looking at second hand
gliders, I don't think its an option ... is it ?, can I get a lease on a
used aircraft... ?

Peter