Old March 27th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default How do controllers coordinate clearances through sectors?

On Mar 26, 7:33 pm, Newps wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
I'm curious, how does one controller secure a direct clearance through
mulitple other controllers' areas? Sometimes it seems that after a
handoff the receiving controller doesn't know what your clearance is
(but certainly must have that area available for you).

If I change your clearance before you takeoff I will make the change in
the computer. It is the centers responsibility to get those updates.
If I clear you direct after takeoff I am locked out of making changes in
the computer and have to coordinate over the landline.

Do controller's "own" their own areas or does the computer?

A controller owns his own airspace. No computer owns anything.

So, last night my updated direct clearance affected my route through 4
controller's airspace ( I have 4 handoffs since). Did the issuing
controller have to call all 4 of those controllers before giving me
the clearance?
-Robert