Old June 16th 04, 11:56 AM
Stealth Pilot

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:39:19 -0500, "Henry Kisor"
wrote:

I've just bought myself a new Garmin handheld GPS. I noticed that the auto
dash mount is stuck to the dashboard with some kind of double-stick stuff.
Is it OK by the FAA to stick the mount onto my airplane's glare shield this
way, or do they consider it a permanent installation and require 337s and
stuff?

What about using strong Velcro? Will that pass muster with the FAA as a
temporary installation?

Henry

I have what must be the world's simplest gps mount for the GPS2plus
GPS3 pilot series. works so well that the guy who borrowed my gps for
a ferry flight across australia made enough excuses that I gave it to
him and made another.
take a piece of 25thou 2024 aluminium sheet 5 1/4 inches by 3 1/2
inches. bend it into a squared "C" shape with 1 1/2 inch sides and 2
inch back. (you lose about an eighth in each bend)
then on the two edges make a quarter of an inch deep kink along the
edge.
ok? you end up with a 3 1/2 inch wide "C" shaped holder which slides
on from the back of the GPS and holds it with the screen vertical. The
antenae sits about an eighth clear of the mount.
I then epoxy on the base side one strip of hooks and one of loops.

epoxy on to the top of the dash a length of either hooks or loops in
the best position for use.

press the mount and gps in place and put a terry towelling hat over it
to keep it from overheating.

mine has been across australia 3 times without a problem. the spring
in the 2024 never seems to go slack and it holds the gps quite firmly.
the gps detatches and goes into my pocket when I'm away from the
aircraft.
Stealth Pilot
Australia

oh yeah I spray paint mine matte black.