Old November 24th 04, 01:45 PM
Brian Case

If it does not specifically specify an airplane, Helicoptor, Glider,
etc. Then any aircraft will work for the requirement.

So, From the FARs you show below, you can apply 40 hours of glider
cross country to your Commecial SEL Rating. However you must land at
least 50 miles from your original point of departure for it to count
as a cross country.

I know a few glider pilots that have done this. I have also
transitioned a few Helicopter pilots into airplanes that have done
this as well.

I have spent a fair amount of time conversing with Alan Pinkston of
AFS-600 and the Author the Part 61 FAQ. He also in the past has the
done the training for the examiners, and many examiners have met or
been trained in person by him. I have had to show some of his
interpretations of the rules.

One of my more difficult questions for him was How do I log glider
x-country flights where I do not land 50 miles away? The official
answer came back as you may log it as Cross Country time, however it
can not be used as time towards a rating. Since the only rating that
allows you to log x-country time where you do not land 50 nm away from
your departure point is the ATP rating, and it specifies that it must
be done in an airplane.

Brian Case
CFIIG/ASEL

(Matt Michael) wrote in message . com...
I'm trying to determine if any of my glider cross-country time can be
applied to the commercial single engine aeronautical experience
requirements.

FAR 61.129 says "50 hours of cross-country flight of which at least 10
hours must be in airplanes".

FAR 61.1 defines cross country time as, among other things, flight
with landing beyond 50 nautical miles of departure and "conducted in
an appropriate aircraft".

I've talked to a local examiner, FSDO, and Oklahoma City. All are
saying, "Hmmm, good question! Let me get back to you".

Anyone with experience with this question care to weigh in?

Thanks,
Matt Michael CFIG
Woodstock N20609 "Wanders Wonder"
IS-28B2 Lark N28DG