Old April 30th 20, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Minimum acceptable self-launch climb rate

Dave Nadler wrote on 4/30/2020 1:43 PM:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 12:34:24 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I'm astounded a 20M high performance, 50:1 glider can only manage 14:1
with the pylon out.

Why? Its only been explained here, like a thousand times?

Well, probably because this is the first time I've seen it documented with numbers
from the flight manual. If I had a glider that sank at 500 fpm because the pylon
was extended, I'd sure mention it.

In addition to open engine bay, the large radiator is a lot of drag.
The published min sink rate is at IIRC blue line.
Are you really going to attempt a turn-back at blue line?

First, I would try it at altitude, as I have in my ASH26E. If that worked out, as
it did for my ASH26E, then I would be willing to turn back at the blue line in an
emergency. What do you think is the minimum safe altitude for a turn-back at blue
line in an Arcus M? What do other Arcus M pilots think is a safe altitude?

No margin, and speed decays VERY rapidly with any inattention and all this drag.

Plummet mode in ArcusM is really not as bad as some older contraptions.