Old November 5th 12, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Number of aero tows in 2011

Answering just for Sundance Aviation at Moriarty, NM, I personally flew 986
tows in 2011. Since I towed 3 days per week, you could estimate that the
operation gave about 2,300 tows that year.

Then there's the soaring club. Maybe they'll also respond.

"Bill D" wrote in message
I'm working on some numbers for SSA Growth and Development. I need a SWAG
as to how many aero tows were made in the US in 2011. Anyone care to
guess?

I know there are about 210 tugs, some more active than others. If each
made 20 tows a week, 52 weeks a year, that would be 218,000 tows but I
suspect that weather, seasonal and other factors would reduce that to
about 100,000 - that's my guess.

Anyone care to differ or offer another number?